Easy to make and very healthy, this curry is a lovely Sunday night supper. It's got some great earthy flavours, which contrast really well with a nice sweet chutney. It's a distant relative of a Nigel Slater potato and spinach dish.
1 tsp hazelnut oil
1 large onion, finely sliced
3 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp chili paste
1cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp crushed cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp garam masala
Juice of 1/2 lemon
300g baby spinach
1) Peel and chop the potatoes, cook them in a large pot of water until tender. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
2) Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion. Fry for about 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent and start to colour.
3) Add the garlic, chili and ginger and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring. Then add all the spices and mustard seeds. Cook for another 1 minute, stirring.
4) Tip in the potatoes and a cup of water and bring to the boil. Stir well to get the potatoes coated then add the mushrooms and turn down to a simmer.
5) When the liquid has reduced, add the lemon juice and salt, followed by the spinach. Cook 3-4 minutes until the spinach is well wilted. Sprinkle with Nigella seeds and serve with Basmati rice (or naan if you prefer) and chutney.
Serves 2 very well for a main.